Get Ready to Savor the Flavor: Baltimore-Style Charcoal Pit Beef Recipe and Tips
Looking for a new recipe to add to your BBQ arsenal? Try our Baltimore-style Charcoal Pit Beef recipe, and follow our tips for getting the perfect smoky and juicy results every time. Get ready to impress your taste buds and your guests!
Charcoal Pit Beef, a signature dish of Baltimore, has gained popularity not only in the region but across the United States. The flavorful and tender beef, slow-cooked over charcoal and served on a Kaiser roll with various condiments, has become a staple in many barbecue restaurants and food stands. In this blog post, we will explore the reasons behind the popularity of Baltimore-style Charcoal Pit Beef and suggest some ideas for what to serve with this delicious dish.
The history of Baltimore-style Charcoal Pit Beef dates back to the 18th century, when settlers in the southern states began cooking beef over pits dug into the ground. The method of slow-cooking the beef over charcoal allows the meat to absorb the smoky flavor and become tender and juicy. The popularity of Charcoal Pit Beef has grown significantly in recent years due to its unique flavor profile and the versatility of the dish.
Charcoal Pit Beef has become a signature dish of Baltimore and is often served at events such as street festivals and sports games. The dish has gained recognition and acclaim from food critics and enthusiasts across the country, with some even calling it the best barbecue beef dish in the United States. The appeal of Baltimore-style Charcoal Pit Beef lies in its simplicity, with the focus being on the quality of the beef and the cooking process.
Baltimore-style Charcoal Pit Beef is typically served on a Kaiser roll with various condiments such as horseradish sauce, raw onions, and tiger sauce. Tiger sauce, a combination of mayonnaise, horseradish, and Worcestershire sauce, adds a creamy and tangy flavor to the dish. Other popular toppings include lettuce, tomato, and cheese. The sandwich is typically served with a side of chips or French fries.
Baltimore-Style Pit Beef
- Ingredients for Pit Beef:
- 1 4-5 pound top round beef roast
- 6-8 Kaiser rolls
- 1/2 cup prepared horseradish
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- Lettuce and tomato optional
- Ingredients for Seasoning Blend:
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper optional
- Preheat your charcoal grill for indirect cooking, with a target temperature of 250-275°F.
- Mix together the seasoning blend in a small bowl and set aside.
- Pat the beef roast dry with paper towels and season all over with the seasoning blend, using your hands to ensure it is evenly coated.
- Place the beef roast directly over the coals and sear for 2-3 minutes on each side until well browned.
- Move the beef roast to the cooler side of the grill and cook with the lid on for about 1 hour or until the internal temperature of the beef reaches 130-135°F for medium rare.
- Remove the beef roast from the grill and let it rest for at least 10 minutes before thinly slicing against the grain.
- To make the tiger sauce, mix together the horseradish, mayonnaise, and Worcestershire sauce in a small bowl.
- To serve, pile the sliced beef high on a Kaiser roll with sliced onions, lettuce, and tomato if desired. Spread the tiger sauce on the other half of the roll and top the beef with it.
- Enjoy your delicious Baltimore-style pit beef sandwich!
If you have never tried Baltimore-style Charcoal Pit Beef, you are missing out on a truly unique and flavorful barbecue experience. The slow-cooking process over charcoal allows the beef to become incredibly tender and juicy, with a smoky flavor that cannot be replicated with other cooking methods. The simplicity of the dish allows the focus to be on the quality of the beef, which is typically seasoned with a blend of spices to enhance its natural flavor.
Charcoal Pit Beef is also a versatile dish that can be enjoyed in a variety of settings. Whether you are at a sports game or a backyard barbecue, this dish is sure to be a hit with everyone. The toppings and condiments can be customized to suit your preferences, making it a great choice for picky eaters or those with dietary restrictions.
In conclusion, Baltimore-style Charcoal Pit Beef is a delicious and unique barbecue dish that has gained popularity across the United States. The slow-cooking process over charcoal allows the beef to become tender and juicy with a smoky flavor that is unmatched. This dish can be enjoyed in a variety of settings and can be customized to suit individual preferences. If you haven’t tried Charcoal Pit Beef yet, give it a chance and you might just find a new favorite barbecue dish.