Upgrade Your Meal Plan with Our Nutritious Beans, Sausage, and Pasta Bake Recipe
Nutrition-wise, the Beans, Sausage, and Pasta Bake can be a balanced and healthy meal if prepared with nutritious ingredients. Beans are an excellent source of plant-based protein, fiber, and several essential vitamins and minerals. Sausage, on the other hand, can be high in saturated fat and sodium, so it’s important to choose a leaner variety and use it in moderation. Using whole grain pasta can also add extra fiber and nutrients to the dish. The addition of vegetables such as bell peppers, zucchini, or spinach can also increase the dish’s nutritional value. To reduce the dish’s overall calorie count, using low-sodium chicken broth and reducing the amount of cheese or breadcrumbs as a topping can help. Overall, the Beans, Sausage, and Pasta Bake can be a nutritious and delicious meal, especially when balanced with plenty of veggies and healthy sides.
So, what are some tasty sides to serve with this comforting casserole? A simple green salad with a light vinaigrette can help balance out the richness of the dish. Roasted vegetables such as asparagus or broccoli can also add some texture and color to the plate. For a heartier option, garlic bread or a warm baguette can help soak up any extra sauce and make the meal feel even more satisfying.
Beans, Sausage, and Pasta Bake
- 1 ½ cups uncooked penne pasta
- ½ pound Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- ½ teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 15 ounces canned chili beans in zesty sauce
- 14 ½ ounces canned diced tomatoes in chili-style
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Cook the pasta according to package instructions, then drain and set aside.
- In a large sauté pan, cook the sausage and onion over medium heat for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sausage is no longer pink.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the oregano and Cajun seasoning.
- Add the cooked pasta, chicken stock, chili beans in zesty sauce, and diced tomatoes in chili-style to the pan, and mix thoroughly.
- Spoon the mixture into a 2-quart casserole dish.
- Cover the casserole dish and bake for 45 minutes or until the center is hot and bubbly.
If you’re looking for a family-friendly meal that’s easy to make and packed with flavor, the Beans, Sausage, and Pasta Bake recipe is a great option. It’s perfect for busy weeknights, potlucks, or cozy gatherings with loved ones. With a rich history and a modern twist, this classic casserole is sure to become a staple in your recipe collection.