The Ultimate Pizza Hack: Bread Machine Cornmeal Pizza Dough for Busy Foodies
Pizza is a beloved dish enjoyed by people around the world. The combination of a crispy crust, tangy tomato sauce, and melty cheese creates a culinary symphony that tantalizes our taste buds. While pizza dough is traditionally made by hand, the advent of modern kitchen appliances has revolutionized the way we prepare this timeless classic. In this blog post, we explore the history, popularity, ingredients, nutrition, and serving ideas of the ever-so-popular Bread Machine Cornmeal Pizza Dough. Discover how this effortless and versatile dough can elevate your homemade pizzas to new heights of deliciousness!
The origins of pizza can be traced back to ancient times, with roots in different cultures, such as the Greeks, Egyptians, and Romans. However, the modern pizza we know today took shape in Naples, Italy, during the 18th century. Neapolitan pizza, characterized by its thin, soft, and chewy crust, quickly gained popularity among locals and eventually spread worldwide.
The introduction of bread machines in the late 20th century brought convenience and efficiency to home cooking. While initially intended for baking bread, resourceful home cooks soon realized the potential of bread machines in simplifying the pizza dough-making process. This gave rise to the trend of utilizing bread machines to create various types of pizza dough, including the delectable Cornmeal Pizza Dough.
Why It’s Popular
Bread Machine Cornmeal Pizza Dough has gained significant popularity due to its unique texture and flavor. The addition of medium-grind yellow cornmeal infuses the dough with a subtle sweetness and delightful crunch, enhancing the overall pizza experience. The bread machine streamlines the dough preparation, eliminating the need for kneading and rising by hand, making it accessible to both experienced and novice home cooks.
The key ingredients for Bread Machine Cornmeal Pizza Dough include water, olive oil, salt, unbleached all-purpose flour, medium-grind yellow cornmeal, sugar, and bread machine yeast. These simple and readily available ingredients come together to create a harmonious dough that acts as the perfect canvas for your favorite pizza toppings.
Try this Cornmeal Pizza Dough recipe in your bread machine.
BREAD MACHINE: CORNMEAL PIZZA DOUGH
- 1 ½ cups water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup medium-grind yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons bread machine yeast
- In the baking pan of your bread machine, combine warm water, olive oil, salt, flour, cornmeal, sugar, and yeast.
- Select the “Dough-Only” setting on your bread machine and let it do the work for you.
- Once the cycle is complete and the dough has doubled in size, transfer it to a floured surface.
- Use the dough immediately for your pizza or, if desired, coat it with one tablespoon of olive oil in a medium-sized bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate.
Pizza, often considered a guilty pleasure, can be made healthier by carefully selecting the ingredients and portion sizes. Bread Machine Cornmeal Pizza Dough offers a balanced nutritional profile. The cornmeal adds dietary fiber and essential minerals, while olive oil contributes heart-healthy monounsaturated fats. By opting for whole-grain flour or incorporating a portion of whole wheat flour, you can further enhance the dough’s nutritional value. Additionally, homemade pizzas allow you to control the amount of cheese and choose high-quality toppings, adding to the overall healthfulness of the meal.
The versatility of Bread Machine Cornmeal Pizza Dough opens up a world of creative serving ideas. Here are a few delicious suggestions to get you started:
- Classic Margherita: Top the cornmeal-infused dough with vibrant tomato sauce, fresh basil leaves, mozzarella cheese, and a drizzle of olive oil. Bake until the cheese is bubbling and golden for a traditional Neapolitan delight.
- Mediterranean Medley: Spread a layer of creamy hummus on the dough and add toppings such as roasted red peppers, kalamata olives, feta cheese, and a sprinkle of oregano. The combination of flavors will transport you to the sun-kissed shores of the Mediterranean.
- Spicy BBQ Chicken: Brush the dough with tangy barbecue sauce, then layer on shredded chicken, red onions, jalapeños, and a generous amount of cheddar cheese. Bake until the crust is crispy and the cheese is beautifully melted for a satisfying and zesty treat.
- Veggie Delight: Load up your pizza with a colorful array of fresh vegetables. Consider toppings like bell peppers, mushrooms, spinach, red onions, and cherry tomatoes. Add a sprinkle of mozzarella cheese and your choice of herbs for a nutritious and vibrant feast.
Bread Machine Cornmeal Pizza Dough has become a staple in countless kitchens, revolutionizing the way we make homemade pizzas. The ease of preparation, coupled with the unique flavor and texture provided by the cornmeal, has made this dough a favorite among both culinary enthusiasts and busy home cooks. By incorporating high-quality ingredients and experimenting with various toppings, you can create personalized pizzas that cater to your taste preferences and nutritional needs. So, dust off your bread machine, gather your favorite ingredients, and embark on a journey of pizza-making bliss with this irresistible cornmeal-infused dough. Get ready to indulge in a slice of pure deliciousness!