Caesar salad is a popular salad that is believed to have been invented in the early 1920s by Caesar Cardini, an Italian-American restaurateur who owned a restaurant in Tijuana, Mexico. The original Caesar salad was made with romaine lettuce, garlic, croutons, and a dressing made with raw egg yolks, lemon juice, olive oil, and parmesan cheese.
Over the years, many variations of the Caesar salad have been created, but the basic ingredients remain the same. The salad is typically made with romaine lettuce, croutons, and a dressing that is made with egg yolks, Dijon mustard, garlic powder, anchovy paste, vegetable oil, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, anchovies, parmesan cheese, and white pepper.
- 3 each egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 4 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 ¼ teaspoons anchovy paste
- 1 ½ cups vegetable oil
- 6 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 16 each anchovies — fillets
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons white pepper
- 4 heads romaine lettuce — sliced 1 1/2″
- To make dressing, blend eggs in mixer at medium speed for 5 minutes. Add mustard, garlic powder and anchovy pasta. Mix until blended. Continue blending and slowly drizzle in oil. When blended, add vinegar, lemon juice and diced anchovies. Blend thoroughly. Add cheese and pepper. Blend thoroughly. Dressing can be refrigerated up to one week. To serve, place lettuce in large bowl. Add 8 oz. dressing. Toss until all leaves are thoroughly coated. Portion salad onto each plate. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Top with croutons. Serve immediately.
The salad’s popularity can be attributed to its unique combination of flavors and textures. The crispness of the romaine lettuce is complemented by the creamy and tangy dressing, and the croutons add a nice crunch to the salad. The anchovies, parmesan cheese and Dijon mustard give the salad a nice and rich flavor.
Many people enjoy Caesar salad because it is a versatile dish that can be served as a side dish or as a main course. It can also be garnished with different ingredients such as grilled chicken or seafood to make it a more satisfying meal.
Overall, Caesar salad is a popular dish that has a rich history and continues to be enjoyed by people all over the world. The combination of flavors and textures makes it a satisfying and delicious salad that can be enjoyed in many different ways.