Savory Pinto Bean Soup
Savory pinto bean soup is a delicious and hearty dish that has been enjoyed for generations. This soup is a staple in Mexican cuisine and has since become popular throughout Central and South America as well as in the United States. It is a simple and easy-to-make dish that is perfect for cold winter days or when you need a warm and comforting meal.
The main ingredient in savory pinto bean soup is, of course, the pinto beans. Pinto beans are a type of kidney bean that are commonly used in Mexican cuisine. They are an excellent source of protein, fiber, and iron, making them a nutritious addition to any meal. The beans are soaked overnight and then cooked until they are tender and flavorful. They are then combined with a variety of vegetables and spices to create a delicious and savory soup.
To make savory pinto bean soup, you will need onions, garlic, chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, salt, black pepper, chicken or vegetable broth, diced tomatoes, green bell pepper, red bell pepper, and jalapeño pepper (optional). Fresh cilantro is added at the end for flavor and garnish, while sour cream can also be used to add creaminess to the soup.
The soup is easy to make and can be prepared in under two hours. First, you will need to sauté the onions and garlic in a large pot until they are translucent. Then, you will add the spices and stir until they are fragrant. Next, you will add the pinto beans, broth, and diced tomatoes and bring the soup to a boil. Reduce the heat and let the soup simmer for an hour or until the beans are tender. Finally, you will add the chopped vegetables and let the soup simmer for another 30 minutes.
Savory Pinto Bean Soup
- 2 cups dry pinto beans soaked overnight and drained
- 1 large onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 can 14.5 ounces diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper seeded and finely chopped (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Sour cream and additional chopped fresh cilantro for serving optional
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, salt, and black pepper to the pot and stir well.
- Add the pinto beans, broth, and diced tomatoes to the pot and stir well. Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 1 hour, or until the beans are tender.
- Add the green bell pepper, red bell pepper, and jalapeño pepper (if using) to the pot and stir well. Continue to simmer for another 30 minutes.
- Stir in the cilantro and remove the pot from the heat.
- Serve the soup hot, topped with sour cream and additional chopped cilantro if desired.
Savory pinto bean soup is a nutritious and filling dish that is perfect for any occasion. It is a great option for vegetarians and can easily be adapted to suit any dietary needs. The soup can be served as a main dish or as a side dish and pairs well with a variety of foods, including cornbread, rice, or a fresh green salad. For a heartier meal, try serving the soup with a side of grilled chicken or pork.
In conclusion, savory pinto bean soup is a delicious and nutritious dish that is perfect for cold winter days or when you need a warm and comforting meal. This soup is easy to make and can be adapted to suit any taste preferences. So, next time you are in the mood for a warm and hearty meal, try making savory pinto bean soup and enjoy the delicious flavors of this traditional Mexican dish.