Wild Rice with Mushrooms
Wild rice with mushrooms is a classic and comforting dish that brings together the nutty and chewy texture of wild rice with the earthy and savory flavor of mushrooms. This dish has been enjoyed by people all over the world for generations and continues to be a popular side dish or vegetarian main course.
Although the exact origins of this dish are unclear, it’s likely that the combination of wild rice and mushrooms has been enjoyed in many different cultures throughout history. Wild rice, which is actually a grass that grows in shallow water, has been a staple food for Native American tribes for centuries, and mushrooms have been used in cooking for thousands of years.
To make this dish, you’ll need a few simple ingredients:
- Wild rice
- Mushrooms (such as cremini, shiitake, or oyster mushrooms)
- Butter or oil
- Chicken or vegetable broth
- Seasonings (such as salt, pepper, and herbs)
To start, cook the wild rice according to the package instructions, then set it aside. Next, sauté the mushrooms, onion, and garlic in butter or oil until they are tender and fragrant. This will take about 5-7 minutes. Then, add the cooked wild rice to the pan and stir in the broth and seasonings. Let the mixture simmer until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is fully cooked.
WILD RICE WITH MUSHROOMS
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup onion — chopped fine
- ¼ cup celery — chopped fine
- 8 ounces Chanterelle mushrooms — 1/4″ thick
- 2 cups wild rice
- 4 cups chicken broth
- ¼ teaspoon salt — to taste
- 1 tablespoon parsley — chopped fine
- Add the butter to a medium size sauce pan and melt. When butter is bubbling, add onions, celery, mushrooms, and sauté until onions are translucent. Add rice and combine. Add chicken broth, salt, and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 25 – 30 minutes or until rice is done. Garnish with chopped parsley and serve.
Once the wild rice with mushrooms is ready, you can serve it hot as a side dish or vegetarian main course. It pairs well with a variety of meats, such as roast chicken or grilled steak, and can also be enjoyed on its own. You can garnish the dish with fresh herbs or cheese to add even more flavor and texture.
Wild rice with mushrooms is a delicious and satisfying dish that’s easy to make and perfect for any occasion. Whether you’re looking for a healthy and flavorful side dish or a hearty vegetarian main course, this dish is sure to please.