Elevate Your Dishes with Tangy and Creamy Reuben Sauce
Reuben sauce is a tangy and creamy sauce that has become a popular condiment for sandwiches, burgers, and fries. It is named after the classic Reuben sandwich, which is a corned beef, sauerkraut, and Swiss cheese sandwich served on rye bread. The sauce was originally created to complement the flavors of the Reuben sandwich, but it has since become a versatile sauce that can be used with a wide range of dishes.
History of Reuben Sauce
The origin of Reuben sauce is not clear, but it is believed to have been created in the United States during the 20th century. The sauce was likely invented by a chef who wanted to enhance the flavor of the classic Reuben sandwich. Over time, the sauce became popular and was eventually used as a condiment for other dishes as well.
Why Reuben Sauce is Popular
One reason for the popularity of Reuben sauce is its versatility. It can be used as a dip for fries, a spread for sandwiches, or a topping for burgers. The tangy and creamy flavor of the sauce also appeals to many people. In addition, the sauce is easy to make with common ingredients, which makes it accessible to a wide range of people.
Common Ingredients in Reuben Sauce
Reuben sauce typically includes mayonnaise, ketchup, sweet relish, fresh lemon juice, and salt. Some recipes may also include other ingredients such as Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, or horseradish. The mayonnaise provides the creamy base for the sauce, while the ketchup and sweet relish add the tangy and sweet flavors. The lemon juice adds a fresh citrusy flavor and the salt helps to balance the flavors.
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1 cup ketchup
- ½ cup sweet relish
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, combine mayonnaise, ketchup, sweet relish, fresh lemon juice, and salt.
- Mix well until all ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Transfer the sauce to an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Enjoy with your favorite dishes.
Reuben sauce is not a particularly healthy sauce as it is high in fat and calories. Two tablespoons of Reuben sauce contain approximately 120 calories and 13 grams of fat. However, it can be enjoyed in moderation as part of a balanced diet. If you are looking to reduce the fat and calories in Reuben sauce, you can try using low-fat mayonnaise or Greek yogurt instead of regular mayonnaise.
Serving Ideas for Reuben Sauce
Reuben sauce can be used in a variety of ways to enhance the flavor of your dishes. Here are a few serving ideas to get you started:
- Reuben Sandwich – Use Reuben sauce as a spread for a classic Reuben sandwich. Layer corned beef, sauerkraut, and Swiss cheese on rye bread and top with Reuben sauce.
- Burger Topping – Add a dollop of Reuben sauce to your burger for a tangy and creamy topping.
- Fry Dip – Use Reuben sauce as a dip for fries. It’s a great alternative to ketchup or mayonnaise.
- Salad Dressing – Use Reuben sauce as a dressing for a salad. It pairs well with mixed greens, cherry tomatoes, and croutons.
Reuben sauce is a delicious and versatile condiment that can add a tangy and creamy flavor to a variety of dishes. While it is not the healthiest sauce, it can be enjoyed in moderation as part of a balanced diet. Whether you are making a classic Reuben sandwich or looking to add some flavor to your burgers or fries, Reuben sauce is a great choice. So why not give it a try and see how it can enhance the flavor of your dishes?