Murgh Makhani – Butter Chicken
Murgh Makhani, also known as Butter Chicken, is a popular Indian dish that is made with boneless chicken pieces that are marinated in a mixture of yogurt and spices, then cooked in a rich tomato-based sauce that includes butter and cream. It is a mild and creamy dish that is flavored with a blend of aromatic spices, including garam masala, cumin, and coriander. It is typically served with rice or naan bread.
Butter Chicken is popular in many parts of the world, especially in countries where Indian cuisine is popular. It is a staple of Indian restaurant menus and is enjoyed by people of all ages. The dish is thought to have originated in the Punjab region of India, but it is now enjoyed all over the country and around the world.
MURGH MAKHANI – BUTTER CHICKEN
- 1 1/2 cups Greek yogurt Full Fat
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground turmeric
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 3 pounds chicken thighs without skin
- 1/4 pound unsalted butter
- 4 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 each medium yellow onions
- 4 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon each cinnamon stick
- 2 tablespoon medium tomatoes — diced
- 2 tablespoon each Anahiem chiles — seeded and diced
- kosher salt — to taste
- 2/3 cup chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons almonds — chopped
- 1/2 bunch cilantro
- Whisk together the yogurt, lemon juice, turmeric, garam masala and cumin in a large bowl. Put the chicken in, and coat with the marinade. Cover, and refrigerate (for up to a day).
- In a large pan over medium heat, melt the butter in the oil until it starts to foam. Add the onions, and cook, stirring frequently, until translucent. Add the garlic, ginger and cumin seeds, and cook until the onions start to brown.
- Add the cinnamon stick, tomatoes, chiles and salt, and cook until the chiles are soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add the chicken and marinade to the pan, and cook for 5 minutes, then add the chicken stock. Bring the mixture to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer, uncovered, for approximately 30 minutes.
- Stir in the cream and tomato paste, and simmer until the chicken is cooked through, approximately 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add the almonds, cook for an additional 5 minutes and remove from the heat. Garnish with the cilantro leaves.