Thai Chicken with Peanut Sauce
Thai chicken with peanut sauce is a popular dish that has a history that can be traced back to the cuisines of Southeast Asia. It is believed to have originated in Thailand, but variations of the dish can be found in other countries such as Indonesia and Malaysia.
The dish typically consists of chicken that is marinated in a mixture of soy sauce, lime juice, canola oil, minced garlic, and ground ginger. The marinated chicken is then cooked and served with a peanut sauce that is made by mixing peanut butter, chicken broth, sugar, salt, and red pepper flakes. The dish is often served over spaghetti and garnished with chopped scallions and peanuts.
People enjoy this dish for its unique combination of flavors and textures. The combination of the savory marinated chicken with the creamy and slightly sweet peanut sauce is a perfect balance of flavors. The dish is also relatively easy to make, making it a popular choice among home cooks.
THAI CHICKEN WITH PEANUT SAUCE
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons lime juice — from about 3 limes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 cloves garlic — minced
- ¾ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 pound skinless chicken breast
- ½ cup peanut butter creamy
- ½ cup canned low sodium chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- ¾ pound spaghetti
- 1 bunch scallions — chopped
- ⅓ cup peanuts — chopped
- In a medium, shallow bowl, combine the 3 tablespoons soy sauce, 2 tablespoons lime juice, 1 tablespoon of the oil, garlic, and ginger. Add the chicken and turn to coat. Set aside for at least 10 minutes to marinate. If you plan to let this marinate for longer, cover and refrigerate for up to 12 hours. Heat a grill pan over moderate heat. Cook the chicken for 4 to 5 minutes per side, or until browned and just done. Remove the chicken from the pan and let rest for 5 minutes. Cut crosswise into 1/4-inch slices.
- Meanwhile, in a medium sauce pan, combine the remaining 1 tablespoon of soy sauce and 2 tablespoon of lime juice, the peanut butter, broth, sugar, salt, and red pepper flakes. Pour the marinade from the chicken into the saucepan and bring to a simmer over moderate heat, whisking until smooth. In a large pot of boiling water, salted water, cook spaghetti until just done, about 12 minutes. Drain the pasta and toss with the peanut sauce, chicken, and scallions. Top with chopped peanuts. Serve family style.
Variations of the dish can include different types of protein, such as shrimp or tofu, and the addition of vegetables, such as bell peppers or mushrooms. Some versions also use coconut milk instead of chicken broth to give the sauce a richer and creamier texture.
Overall, Thai chicken with peanut sauce is a delicious and versatile dish that continues to be popular among food enthusiasts around the world.