Sausage Bread Stuffing
Sausage bread stuffing is a savory and flavorful side dish that is made by combining crumbled sausage with stale bread, broth, and a variety of seasonings. It is a popular accompaniment to roast poultry, particularly during the holiday season.
The history of sausage bread stuffing is somewhat disputed, but it is likely that this dish has been enjoyed for centuries. Sausage and bread have both been staples of the human diet for thousands of years, and it is likely that people have been combining them in various forms of stuffing for just as long.
To make sausage bread stuffing, you will need the following ingredients:
- Stale bread
- Chicken or turkey broth
- Seasonings (such as sage, thyme, and parsley)
To prepare the stuffing, you will need to crumble the sausage and cook it in a pan until it is browned. You will then add the onion, celery, and garlic to the pan and cook until they are tender. The mixture is then combined with the stale bread, broth, eggs, and seasonings and baked until it is hot and crispy on the outside.
Sausage bread stuffing is a delicious and satisfying side dish that pairs well with roast poultry, particularly turkey. It can also be enjoyed on its own as a main course or served alongside other dishes such as mashed potatoes, gravy, and cranberry sauce.
Italian Sausage Stuffing Recipe
- 1 pound hot Italian sausage
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 2 each onions coarsely chopped
- 2 each celery ribs coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon sage
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 3 cups turkey stock
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup fresh parsley chopped fine
- 12 cups bread stuffing cubes
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a large saucepan, cook the sausage over medium-high heat, breaking into small pieces with a spoon, until cooked thoroughly. Remove with a slotted spoon and transfer it to a large bowl.
- In the same saucepan, add 6 tablespoons of butter, onions, and celery. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally until tender.
- Season the vegetables with sage, thyme, salt, and white pepper.
- Add turkey stock and bring it to a simmer.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs with parsley.
- Combine the cooked sausage, bread stuffing cubes, and egg mixture in the large bowl. Gradually add the vegetable broth mixture and toss.
- Transfer the mixture to a buttered baking dish and dot with the remaining butter.
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes, then uncover and bake until golden for another 30 minutes.